Happy Holidays 2014!
December 26, 2014
Posted by on
Seems like 2013 was only weeks ago now, and yet we’ll be hitting 2015 in only a few days! Time flies when you’re having fun, I guess.
I’ll be doing my typical annual wrap-up again, but for now, a few things I’m thankful for as the year moves towards its close…
- Family. Without family, I’d have been in trouble for a lot of this year. Whether it’s a safe spot in times of turmoil, emotional support, or just knowing that there’s a bunch of people out there in the world who love me, and whom I love too… I couldn’t do half of what I do without my family.
- Writing: Writing is my lifeblood, my soul’s source of sustenance. If my words ever leave me, I expect I’ll last about a month, and then collapse in a mound of tired dust
- Friends: Like family, friends are a powerful source of joy and help fend off the loneliness inherent in a solitary writer’s life. They drag me out of my bubble and remind me that there’s more to life than writing and food.
- Social Media: I spend more time on social media, likely, than I do on my Internet browser. Powerful and illuminating conversations; news as it happens; fascinating links to resources I’d never have found on my own; all that and a warm sense of online community. Twitter, Tumblr, even very occasionally, Facebook.
- Books: This year I got back into reading in a huge way, and I feel like it’s been really good for me. I got used to particular story rhythms and experiences that desperately needed shaking up.
- Music: I couldn’t function as I do without it. It helps me escape myself and think in new ways, feel in new ways. I can’t imagine trying to be a writer without it. I’d be useless.
What are you thankful for this year?